Academic papers and talks, September and October 2017
27 October 2017
Here is a selection of published papers and invited talks from the last two months.
Thanos, S., Kamargianni, M., Schäfer, A.W. (2017), Car travel demand: spillovers and asymmetric price effects in a spatial setting. Transportation Science, in press. https://doi.org/10.1287/trsc.2017.0789
Dubé, J., Legros, D., Thanos, S. (2017), Past price “memory” in the housing market: testing the performance of different spatio-temporal specifications. Spatial Economic Analysis, accepted for publication.
Boelens, R., Crow, B., Hoogesteger, J., Lu, F., Swyngedouw, E., J. Vos. (Editors) (2017) Hydrosocial Territories and Water Equity: Theory, Governance and Sites of Struggles. Routledge, London.
Carter, J.G, Handley, J, Butlin, T and Gill, S. 2017. Adapting cities to climate change – exploring the flood risk management role of green infrastructure landscapes. Journal of Environmental Planning and Management (published online 12/9/17)
For a full list of MUI published papers, please see the MUI entries in the University's Research Explorer database.
Talks and invited events
Daniel Arubayi (supervisor: James Evans)
- Representing the university at the third GCRF INTALINC workshop on mobility in the global south in Lagos 26-27 October
- Delivered a keynote talk and participated in a panel discussion at a seminar on 'Climate Change, Decarbonization and the Urban Energy Transition’ held at the university of Hamburg, on the 12 and 13 October
- 'Urban Transformation: creating the conditions for replication', Smart City Information System Annual Conference, Budapest, 2-3 October.
- Invited discussent in the policy roundtable organised by the Young Fabians that took place in Manchester on the 23rd of October 2017. The aim of the roundtable was to explore how environmental approaches might be better integrated into the Labour Party’s policy platform.
- Presented a paper titled 'Conceptualising and performing 'energy precarity’ at the 'Beyond Oil: mobilizing alternative futures’ conference that took place in Bergen, Norway on the 25 and 26 of October 2017. At the conference, she also moderated the opening discussion with Kevin Anderson (Uppsala University/Tyndall Centre for Climate Change Research) and Josefin Wangel (Swedish University of Agricultural Sciences ). The interview with her about the social implication of rapid energy transitions will feature in a documentary film on alternative futures and energy transformations that will be produced by the University of Bergen’s SpaceLab and the Centre for Climate Change and Transformations.
- Pandemic risk and the mobilisation of sociological knowledge. Brokerage event of the Action Plan on Science in Society related issues in Epidemics and Total pandemics (ASSET EU FP7 project) Final Conference, Rome 30-31 October 2017. View the programme.
- 125th Anniversary of Geography at the University of Manchester Lecture/2017 Mugs Lecture, “Life and Death in the Urbicene”, University of Manchester, 11 October;
- Invited Keynote Address, “Insurgent Citizens and the Spectral Return of the Political in the Post-Democratic European City”, International Conference, “Activation – Self-Management – Overload: Political Participation beyond the Post-democratic Turn”, Institute for Social Change and Sustainability (IGN), Vienna University for Economics and Business, 27-29 September;
- Invited Keynote Address, “CITY OR POLIS? Antinomies of the Post-Democratic City”, Plenary Session ‘Housing and Urban Development in the Turmoil of Global Political Dilemmas”, European Network for Housing Research – 2017 ‘Affordable Housing for All’, Tirana, Albania, 4-6 September.
- Invited presentation ‘From the international New Urban Agenda to Salford Quays’, Centre for Urban and Regional Development Studies 40th Anniversary Colloquium – Urban and Regional Development: Retrospect and Prospect, University of Newcastle, 17-18 October
- Invited Panelist of ‘Can transport infrastructure solve Greater Manchester’s housing crisis?’ by IPPR North and Lexington North, Conservative Party Conference event, Manchester Central Library, 2 October
- Invited Roundtable participants of ‘Priced Out? Housing affordability in England’ by Institute for Public Policy Research, Conservative Party Conference event, City Tower, Manchester, 5 October
- ‘Planning for eco-urbanisation in China: the case of Jing-Jin-Ji’, Socio-economic development in China: an international comparative perspective conference, China Studies Research Committee, University of Manchester, 3-4 October.
- Judge for the 2017 RIBA President's Medals in the Silver Medal category, 20 October 2017, RIBA London
- Invited lecture at the Princeton School of Architecture, USA conference on 22 September 2017 'REVOLUTIONIZING REVOLUTION: A Tender Guerrilla On Cis-Architecture'
- Keynote lecture at the 'Making Effect' conference at the Swedish Centre for Architecture and Design/ArkDes, Stockholm County Museum/Dieselverkstaden, and KTH School of Architecture on 13-16 September.
- Thanos, S.(PI), Mell, I., Connelly, A., (01/11/2017 – 31/07/2018) The societal cost of flooding: environmental management, damage costs, housing markets, and behavioural issues. SEED Strategic Research Fund 2017-18, internal University of Manchester Funding, £4,751.