Academic papers and external engagement, May - July 2018
13 June 2018
Here is a selection of papers, talks and external engagement from the last two months.
- Bastia, T. (2018). Transnational migration and the gendered right to the city in Buenos Aires. Cities. DOI: 10.1016/j.cities.2017.06.014 (final version following original 2017 publication)
- Carter, J., Hincks, S. J., Vlastaras., Connelly, A., Handley, J. Exploring spatial patterns of climate change risk across Europe’s NUTS3 regions
- Connelly, A., Carter, J., Handley, J., & Hincks, S. (2018). Enhancing the Practical Utility of Risk Assessments in Climate Change Adaptation. Sustainability, 10 (5), . DOI: 10.3390/su10051399
- Connelly, A., Carter, J., Handley, J. Hincks, S.J. (2018). A typology of co-creation practices relating to urban climate resilience
- Mitlin, D., Satterthwaite, D., & Colenbrander, S. (2018). Finance for community-led local, city and national development. Environment and Urbanization, 30(1).
- Cauvain Jenni, Karvonen Andrew and Petrova Saska (2018) Market-based low-carbon retrofit in social housing: Insights from Greater Manchester. Journal of Urban Affairs. DOI: 10.1080/07352166.2018.1439340
- Stein Heinemann, A., Moser, C., & Vance, I. (2018). Asset Planning for Climate Change Adaptation in Poor Neighborhoods of Tegucigalpa, Honduras. (Learning Materials). Inter-American Development Bank. DOI: 10.18235/0001074
- Wang, L., & Duan, X. (2018). High-speed rail network development and winner and loser cities in megaregions: The case study of Yangtze River Delta, China. Cities.
- Wong, C., Wang, Z., Deng, X., Li, Z., & Chen, J. (2018). Learning urban resilience from a social-economic-ecological system perspective: A case study of Beijing from 1978 to 2015. Journal of Cleaner Production, 183, 343-357. DOI: 10.1016/j.jclepro.2018.02.128
More recent papers from MUI researchers can be found via the University's research portal.
Talks, visits and engagement
- Nicola Banks: Attended a DFID civil society roundtable at the Mines Advisory Group and presented in the Department of Urban Studies and Planning’s seminar series on ‘Urban Worlds of Work: Insight from Bangladesh and Tanzania’ at the University of Sheffield
- Joe Ravetz:
- Road-testing the Synergistics method and Foresight-III toolkit, in various keynotes & project meetings, while finalizing the book "Deeper City: pathways from smart to wise" (Routledge 2019)
- Belmont Forum workshop on SUGI (Sustainable Urbanization Global Initiative) Food-Energy-Water Nexus, ‘inspirational introduction’, London June 2018
- Helsinki, ‘Beyond the technical’ Academy of Science consortium, facilitator of workshop on ‘Integrated Envisions', June 2018’
- Brandenburg Technical University, visiting lecture on ‘cities in evolution or co-evolution’, May 2018
- Lisbon, European Trade Union Institute, facilitator of Foresight-III workshop on the future of the EU trade union movement. May 2018
- Malta Energy Institute, MCAST, keynote for European Green Week
- Qatar Foundation: Energy & Low Carbon Transitions program: coordinator/facilitator of route-mapping workshop. Doha, April 2018
- Seth Schindler: plenary talk at the Regional Studies Association annual conference in Lugano. Also welcoming Mustafa Kemal Bayırbağ who visits in June-July as part of the Newton project on urbanization in Turkey
- Alfredo Stein Heinemann: Panellist discussing climate change impacts in urban poor areas of cities of the global South in the International Congress ‘Post-Habitat III’ in Barcelona on 22-23 May 2018. The congress is organised by UN-Habitat, United Cities and Local Government (UCLG), Institut Barcelona Estudis Internacionals, CIDOB, and Barcelona Metropolitan Area.
- Saskia Warren: hosted an invited artist workshop at The Whitworth Art Gallery for the upcoming exhibition and series of events, Faithful Practices: Muslim Women Makers in Contemporary Britain, 19th June 2018