Read the latest news from the Global Urbanism Research Group.
CLACS/GURC Postgraduate Workshop: Researching Latin American Cities
16 September 2015
CLACS/GURC are organising a postgraduate workshop: Researching Latin American Cities.
Call for Papers: Conference and Workshop
9 July 2015
GURC is co-organising an International Conference and Talca Workshop on Gentrification in reconstruction of global intermediate cities.
Seminar: Prof Badami. Urban Transport Needs and Policy in India
9 July 2015
GURC will be hosting a seminar entitled 'Bridging the Gap between Urban Transport Needs and Policy in India.
Urban Informality Workshop
14 April 2015
On 13 and 14 April The University of Manchester held a 1.5 day international conference on Urban Informality.
14 April 2015
In February, Diana Mitlin participated in an International Seminar on Social Innovation and Creative Responses to Global Urban Challenges, organised by the AHRC, the ESRC and The British Academy.
- CLACS/GURC Postgraduate Workshop: Researching Latin American Cities, 5 November, University of Manchester.
- Melanie organised a session on 'The Politics of Land: Urban planning and conflict in the global North and South' at the RC21 conference, Urbino, 27-29 August.
- The Urbanisation and Development study group of the DSA (which Melanie co-convenes) met at the Development Studies Association annual conference (7-8 September, Bath).
- Diana gave a keynote at the International Sociological Association's RC19 (Research Committee on Poverty, Social Welfare, and Social Policy) at the University of Bath (August 26-27). This was a great chance to meet up with some old friends and make some new ones.
- Diana will be presenting the course unit on Citizen Led Development at the Urban Lab+ Symposium on the Challenges and Potentials of Internationalisation in Global Urban Higher Education, University College 17 September.
- Diana will be attending a meeting at the ESRC, 15 September, following her appointment to the ESRC research committee.
- Diana will be attending the committee meeting on the N8 coproduction conference, Wednesday 23 September, University of Leeds.
- Diana had a chapter published in From local action to global networks: housing the urban poor edited by Peter Herrle, Astrid Ley and Josefine Fokdal entitled “Making sure the voices of the poor are heard; why forms of transnational activism can make a difference”.
- New publication: Lombard, M. (forthcoming) Land conflict in peri-urban areas: Exploring the effects of land reform on informal settlement in Mexico. Urban Studies.
- New Publications: Stein, A. (2015) ‘Els perills de la descentralizacio en un estat absent i negligent: el cas d’America Central’ [‘The risks of decentralization in an absent and negligent state’] Àmbits de Política i Societat, Journal of the School of Political Scientists and Sociologists of Catalunya, June