Drawing on a practice-oriented research philosophy, the work developed at MARG is unique in both the UK and the world, and has resulted in leading and award-winning publications.
We aim to open up new areas of architectural research, create new standards of architectural pedagogy, and facilitate new ways of engaging in public debate. Great importance is placed on the originality and the diversity of empirical sources, the creativity of fieldwork and the rigor of methodological approaches that range from:
- architectural drawing techniques to innovative network mapping
- standard in-depth interviews to inventive ethnographic techniques for site-observation
- archival enquiry to cutting edge digital methods for architectural research
Our main areas of expertise are:
- Social studies of architecture and urban infrastructures
- Mobility of architectural expertise: transfers and networks